zürich 2014 at a glance: impressive facts and figures of a mega event
The European Athletics Championships Zurich 2014 will be amazing in many ways, impressive in their dimensions, and a unique sports event in Switzerland.
Around 1400 athletes from 50 countries will participate in the championships in Zurich. They will arrive in the city together with about 800 coaches and accompanying persons.
- All in all, 47 sets of medals will be awarded during the 6 days of the championships. The 50km racing walking event will be the only discipline to be staged for men only.
- Per day 25`000 spectators are expected at Letzigrund Stadium. In addition, tens of thousands will be cheering the athletes in the marathons and the race walking event in the city centre of Zurich.
- European Athletics Championships are a huge TV event in Europe. Around 370 million viewers will be watching the live coverage of the competitions.
- Host Broadcaster SRG SSR (Swiss Broadcasting Corporation) will produce the international TV signal. It will be the largest in-house production in the SRG SSR history.
- Around 2000 media representatives are expected to be in Zurich to cover the event.
- The organisers will be supported by approx. 2000 volunteers.
25000 overnight stays will be booked by the organisers themselves. This figure does not include reservations made by visitors.
- The budget for Zürich 2014 amounts to 35 million Swiss francs. The Swiss Confederation (represented by the Federal 3.3 million Swiss francs to the organisation of the championships. This amount will help reduce the deficit guarantee approved by the Canton and the City of Zurich.
Download "Facts and Figures"